Saturday, April 14, 2007

Urchin - self titled or Ode to XM and Itunes my musical messiahs

I have an xm radio subscription and I don't see how I could live without it. I mean I don't even live in Houston, I live in a bland suburban cultural desert. I have to drive an hour to hear a symphony play, to see a museum or even see a baseball game. The only thing to do here is go to a restaurant really, or go flying. My only link to the creative output of my fellow humans is through my space radio and itunes. How sad is that. I'm thinking my life act III is going to be set in New York.
Boo hoo, I brought this on myself. My point is I would never have heard of band like urchin without my space radio. It is electronic ambient music, full of bassy beats and highly polished electrono-sonic wizardry.. Yet, despite its repetitive nature, it never gets old! It's pretty much the opposite of the Beatles... trying more to establish a mood through gradually changing grooves. It is great driving music and will probably be playing in a Starbucks soon. The music is very atmospheric and almost creepy. The whole thing plays out like watching a memory.

No comments: