Wednesday, April 25, 2007

First Steps

I've flown alone twice this week. I was a little hesitant Monday because the ceiling was 1500 feet and it was hazy. They were calling it as 6 mi visibility and since 3 mi is the legal limit, I went up. Well, once I was airborn I knew it was a mistake. The ceiling may have been 1500 but there was thick haze gradually fading down towards the ground. I couldn't make out the true horizon and at 600 feet on the climbout I knew I was not venturing far. I simply turned back torward the downwind leg and headed back. As I did my decending turns toward the runway but I felt like they were all off because of the lack of a true horizon. I landed and that was the end of that lesson.
Today however was my first TRULY solo lesson. For the first time, Jeff didn't even show up to the airport. I showed up, unlocked the hanger and pulled back the doors to reveal that beautiful flying machine. Today was different, today Jeff had entrusted her to me and my mission was to fly her out to the practice area and bring her back safely. This would be the first time I left the pattern alone.
I pulled her out and did the longest most thorough pre-flight I've ever done. I took my time checking every bolt, even stopping to hear the small creakings as the frame seemed to settle on the wheels. Had I ever heard that before? I must have, it stopped after a few minutes.
I got in and took two deep breathes... Only one month ago, TO THE DAY I had soloed. Now I was pulling it out and flying out to the practice area on my own!
I started up the engine and configured the cabin. The wind was almost direct crosswind at 6 knots. It should veer around to down the runway when I get back and crosswind takeoffs are easy, I decide it is acceptable. I took off with nobody in the pattern... the airport was quiet except for me. Then instead of turning into the downwind leg, I depart. I set a course for heading 21 and keep climbing. I look out the window and the view from 1500 feet has never been sweeter.
As I flew away from the airport. I started to hear people on the radio. There was somebody in the pattern and someone 11 miles out in the southwest. Hey I'm going to the southwest, where is he? It's tricky because people are never where you think they are and sometimes not even where they called out to be. A little while later I saw a small white plane about 4 miles away off my left wing zoom by. How did I see that? Thankfully I've been pretty good at spotting planes. I hear more traffic at the airport so I decide to just fly around. can you believe it? I had the plane all to myself and just flew around, it was an amazing feeling of freedom. I pulled a sharp turn and soaked in the view. For all the grief I give southeast texas, it is gorgeous from above.
I flew around for a while and when it quieted down at the airport I turned back. I had a little moment of panic when I didn't immediately see the airport. Eventually though at about 6 miles I picked it out. I called my position and headed in. I joined the downwind leg pretty close to the runway though. As I was correcting I noticed I had lost 200 feet as well. I was coming to the landing steps and was not at my prescribed hieght... what to do. I proceed to base leg and when I turn to final I find I have overshot by alot and am closer than I thought. With the crosswind I decide not to try and save it, I radio I am going around and give full power and push in carb heat. Flaps go up and I am climbing above the runway. I rejoin the pattern and its all nominal from there.
As I pull off the runway after landing I still think I have it in me to get in one more landing. I take off again and run through the pattern. Everything was right on down to about 20 feet. Then wheels hit and a bounce.. a big bounce. SHIT! I was high again but she was coming down. Then a gust from the left and I'm yawed now, with my nose off to the left. I remeber applying controls but they were sloppy, they always are when I'm slow like this. Especially the rudder and ailerons.
I manage to save it with the rudder and pull back again for the second big landing hop. I land a little sideways and use up so much runway I have to taxi to the far end. UGH, it was bad. I wish I had a video of it, it was my worst landing in a while. I was bummed but still on a huge high from all this. It's a good day when you tell yourself, I can't believe I did that!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! :) I can't wait till I can go with you.

Jen said...

Yikes! Guess those nerves really do make a difference. I'm planning on going out by myself on Sunday. (Knock-on-wood)