Saturday, September 22, 2007

How I got my groove back

I have not flown solo in a plane since June! That’s crazy. I met my instructor at the airport to do a few touch and go’s to get back into good form. We jumped in the plane and I found myself landing a little squirrelly again. I’d balloon up from the runway in the last 20 feet and then “save it” be nosing down and getting back into ground effect before my airspeed died off. Not very graceful at all.
Anyway I did the same thing twice and we taxied off the runway to get gas.

“How was it? Oh, I know they weren’t great”
“You are a little rusty but just take it up a few times and get back into it. I noticed you nose down a little during the final 40 feet or so. You pick up airspeed and then zoom up for the flare… try not to do that”

That was it!! The clouds parted and I saw the light. I had been doing that unconsciously and him saying that just made me aware of it. I think I would pick a spot to flare and would nose down to it when I came close. There is no sense in that. If anything just keep your airspeed good and flare wherever you have to.

So I went back up and that first landing was dare I saw PERFECT. I had found it. My groove was back. I didn’t even taxi off the runway, I gave it full power with flaps up and was back up in the air. I came back and another good landing!

Can this be working? Another touch and go and I was back for my third landing.
It was great. That was 3 good landings in a row. I was back and now more ready than ever for my 1st cross country solo.

No comments: